Monday, April 11, 2005

Creativity Tool

One of the best aids to my creativity that I have found is keeping a journal. I actually carry two with me wherever I go. One for writing in and one for sketching in.

I found the perfect books about 3 years ago. Moleskines. They're the right size, they open flat (I hate books that you have to hold open), they have a pocket for odd stuff in the back, a ribbon page marker, and an elastic band to hold it all shut. I carry the lined one for writing and the plain one for sketching.

So, what do I put in these wonderful journals? Everything! In my lined one I put quotes, references, travel journals and notes, word definitions, things I'm thinking about, stories I make up, recipes, books to read, poetry, reviews of art shows, gardening stuff, school research stuff, etc. In my plain one I sketch when we hike or travel, I draw ideas for art projects, sewing projects, art book ideas, furniture designs, jewelry designs, clothing designs, architectural designs, etc.

The importance of these books in my life is that it allows me to continually think creatively even when I don't have time to make art. Unfortunately, that's most of the time. When I do have time, I use my journals as a reference for whatever I'm working on, or to refresh my memory about things I want to create.

When I begin a new one I put the date in the front cover. When I finish filling it, I put that date next to the first one. That helps me keep track of when I did things. I've also gotten a fine tip white paint marker to write the type of book and dates on the spine so that I can pull the right one off my book shelf the first time.

Everyone has a creative strategy and that's mine. I wish I'd started doing it years ago. It's made it so much easier to keep track of ideas, both new and progressive ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment