Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Spinning a Yarn

One of the creative things that I really enjoy is spinning. It doesn't matter whether I use a spindle or my spinning wheel, it's theraputic and an opportunity to express myself.

Back when I first started, I discovered that I am allergic to sheep's wool, so I mostly spin exotic fibers like alpaca, llama, camel, mohair, silk, and cashmere. However, in a weak moment I succumbed to some churro fleece while at the Two Grey Hills Trading Post. I played with it in the truck while we drove and realized that my eyes weren't itching and my nose wasn't getting stuffed up.

So on Saturday I bought a churro fleece at El Churro. Now we'll find out if it was a fluke or if I'm not allergic to churro sheep.

Churro sheep were brought to the Southwest by the Spanish. They are ideally suited to the hot and arid conditions of the Southwest.


I've also just bought a new spinning wheel. While my old Ashford Scholar is an excellent wheel, it's not the best for spinning some of the exotic fibers that I enjoy. I sold my Ashford to a friend and coworker who wants to learn to spin and bought a Majacraft Little Gem. Wow!!!
Now I can really get down to business. I'm going to spend my very relaxing vacation in the mountain town of Breckenridge spinning anything I can get my hands on between then and now. The churro fleece, some mohair, a silk/cashmere blend, silk, and maybe even some cat hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment