Monday, January 15, 2007

Choosing Decor Colors: An Idea

I was looking through a magazine once and started noticing the beautiful photography in the ads. At first I was thinking it is a shame that I couldn't cut enough of the advertising part off so that I could keep the photo. Then I realized that it wasn't really the subject matter that I was attracted to, but the colors.

My next brain leap was to home decor. What if you used photos or ads to choose colors to decorate with? So here's what I did.

1. I went through the magazine and pulled out ads that I found particularly appealing. I didn't think about why, I just responded.
2. I cut them into strips so that it eliminated most of the subject and put the focus on the colors.
3. I chose the strips that I really liked, eliminated the "duplicates," and pasted them into my Moleskine. As you can see, some of the ad strips are similar, but sometimes I kept 2 similar ones because the color emphasis was different.
4. I've been pulling paint chips at the hardware store a few at a time to match the colors in the photos.I decided that this could really be a fun way to decorate if you only have a sense of how you want the room to feel. The colors wouldn't just be paint, they'd be all the main elements in the room. The walls, the floor, the wood, the fabrics, and the furniture and nicknacks.
So, if you're looking for that mountain lake look, the lavender fields look without the French influence, or the tropical escape look, I've got it already figured out for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment