Saturday, March 31, 2007

ACASA African Art Symposium at Univ of Florida

The ACASA African Art Symposium at the University of Florida is done. Whew! My head is so jam packed with stuff, I'm overflowing. Talk about intense!

I am so glad that I found out about it with enough time to plan ahead and save up for it. Since it only happens every 3 years, I feel fortunate to have stumbled across the information on the internet.

Most of the sessions and events took place at the Cultural Plaza in either the Harn Museum, the Florida Museum of Natural History, or the Black Box Theatre. There were people attending from all over the world and it was fund to meet and see people whose work I have read and referenced in my school papers. It has also opened up some areas of interest for me as well. More on that later.

In the museum, they currently have a show of contemporary Ethiopian art which is really interesting. They also have an El Anatsui metal textile hanging in their main lobby area. I got to eat breakfast next to it every morning.


Okwui Enwezor gave the keynote address in the University Auditorium, but unfortunately the sound system was awful and I couldn't hear what he said. I'm hoping they'll publish a transcript.

The biggest thing that I'm coming away with is that there is a global community of artists and art historians interested in studying and promoting the art of Africa and its diaspora. The second is that they are all ordinary people just like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment