Sunday, November 04, 2007

Planning Ahead

I find myself facing surgery next spring and need to plan for the 3 weeks I'll be out of commission. Since it's abdominal surgery, I need to plan "sit very still for hours on end" types of activities.


So, I'm thinking that one thing I'd like to do is do some research on El Anatsui. I was hoping to be able to do a paper on him in my last class, but he didn't fit the criteria. Instead I did a paper on another Modern African artist, Francis Nnaggenda.

I first heard about El Anatsui when I did a paper on 3 Nsukka artists, Uche Okeke, Obiora Udechukwu, and Olu Oguibe. Since then, I've seen how his art has progressed and actually got to see one of his wall hangings up close and personal at the Harn Museum in April.


He's also been a huge influence on his students at Nsukka. One of them, I've discovered is Nnenna Okore. I'd like to find out more about her, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment