Monday, January 14, 2008

Fugly Crocheting

I've been a crocheter for over 30 years and so when I read that someone thought crocheting was "fugly" I took it personally. Another comment a short time later about crocheting being more "crafty" than knitting, motivated me to do something about this erroneous and ignorant view of crochet. FYI, I also knit although I don't call myself a knitter.

I feel a strong need to prove them wrong.

As much as I love to make and create things, I do try to be a little practical in my choice of projects since I have a limited number of people to give things to and they can take only so much. But I don't care anymore. I'm just going to create and decide what to do with it later. I'm going to make them up and post them for you to pass judgment.

I LOVE bags, hats, and scarves, and I like making them. I often wish I could have a bag/hat/scarf walk-in closet. And so my first two presentations for you to consider are bags. They aren't lined yet, but I will do that later when I have a bunch of them to do all at once. The linings will make them more functional and prevent things like pens or crochet hooks from escaping. I'd like to extend my apologies for the less than stellar photos, but I'll do more formal shots after I've lined them.

I made the first one on our New Year trip to Taos. It's made of blue one-ply Frog Tree Alpaca and a Mohair/viscose blend that is variegated red, green, blue, and beige with a little bling. The body is 100% single crochet, so a beginner could do it. I used a lucet to make the strap (easy to learn and a nice technique) but you could crochet it or buy a cord.

Taos Evening



This one I made last weekend in a few hours. I used Lion Brand Chenille Thick & Quick (Royal Blue), Trellis (Copper Penny), and Incredible (Aquarium). Once again it's 100% single crochet, even the strap. When I line it, I'll add some stiffener to help it hold it's shape.

Tropical Horizon


P.S. Friends and Family: If you see something you like and want, let me know and I'll send it to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment