Monday, April 06, 2009

Africa

If you've read my blog for any amount of time, one of the things you might have picked up on is my interest in Africa. Or maybe it's not as obvious as I might think it is. Any hoo...it's going to become a lot more evident.

At one point I was actively going to school in order to apply to graduate school and study African art history. I still do, but due to life's unfortunate turnings I've had to put that dream aside (at least for now). After a period of disappointment and grieving, I'm coming out the other end and picking up my interest in a new way.

My long neglected reading list includes a lot of African history. Art is affected by historical events and circumstances, so I feel I need to learn as much as I can about African history and archaeology. I would like to post reviews or summaries on some of the books I read.

I have two trips to Africa planned this year. The first is to Uganda where we will get to meet our sponsored child. The second is to assist at a construction project at Rain Forest International School in Cameroon. I'm going to do posts starting with the preparations and following through with the post-trip reflections. If able, I will try to do posts during each trip, but internet connectivity can be sketchy there.

No comments:

Post a Comment