Monday, April 13, 2009

If you're a germaphobe...don't read this post.

When I was growing up in Africa, we didn't have facial tissues. We had handkerchiefs. I do remember references to "dirty old rags" and things like that; but most of the time, they weren't that bad.





I've always had a fascination for the "lost" art of handwork on linens. Doilies, table clothes, dresser scarfs, handkerchiefs... So I have started looking for great examples in good condition at antique stores and shows. One thing I've collected quite a few of are in the handkerchief category. I've even embellished a couple of them myself.

Then, the other day as I was reaching for another facial tissue, it came to me. I've thrown a lot of those in my trash. I started thinking about all those nice handkerchiefs I have and realized that I didn't remember them being so bad for every day. You grab a new one in the morning and throw it in the laundry at the end of the day.

So I dug out a few handkerchiefs and have begun using them every day. So far, it's working very well. I still have the paper ones handy and will probably not get rid of them entirely. But not only can I reduce waste, but I'm looking forward to making a few new ones to add to my stash.

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous5:42 AM

    I found this site using [url=http://google.com]google.com[/url] And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really very good site. Great work, great site! Thank you!

    Sorry for offtopic

    ReplyDelete