Tuesday, May 19, 2009

On the Edge of an Adventure

Soon we'll be in Uganda. ...Okay, it's still 52 days away, but time flies by.

We'll be visiting our Compassion International sponsored child Richard Michael and we're really excited.

First and foremost, we're excited about seeing Richard Michael. We've sponsored him for 5 1/2 years and from his pictures we can see that he has grown so much. From his letters, he seems a quiet, formal boy, but I wonder. I'm looking forward to seeing and talking to him in person. Seeing what he's like when he lets his guard down. I think we saw an inkling of it in a photo we got after Christmas one year. It shows him sitting at a table in brand new clothes and a chicken and rice feast that our $15 Christmas gift had helped buy. It's amazing how far $15 will go!

For me it is a return to Africa after a long "exile." Even though it's a country I've never been to, I still anticipate a sense of returning home. For my husband it will be his first foray into the developing world and I know he's excited for the new experience. Since this trip is a tour put on for sponsors wanting to meet their sponsored children, it's arranged to be as safe (especially for the stomach) and as saturated as possible in what Compassion International does and how being a sponsor can really make a difference.

Uganda, for those of you who don't know, is in East Africa, right next door to Kenya. More posts to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment