Thursday, June 11, 2009

Dish Cloths

Last year I knitted a bunch of cotton dish cloths for a craft sale. They were a hit and I sold all of them. I wanted to do more this year, but didn't want them to take so long. Liking the knit style more than the typical crocheted versions, I decided to try using Afghan crochet. The resulting dish cloths have many of the same desirable qualities of the knit ones, but work up a lot faster. I can do one in 45 minutes versus 3 hours.

Materials: One skein of Lily N'Creme Cotton in your preferred color. One 95 yard skein should make two dish cloths.

Hook: J afghan hook

Finished product should be approximately 8.5”x8.5”.
Gauge is about 14 sts wide by 9-10 rows high for a 4”x4” swatch.

Ch 29.
Pick up 28 loops all the way across starting with second ch from hook. You should have 29 loops when you’re done (loop on end of ch counts as 1).
Work Afghan stitch for 21 rows. Tie off and weave in ends.

When I do the Afghan stitch for this, I’m picking up my loops by going through the front loop of yarn in the horizontal part of the stitch instead of through the vertical part of the stitch as shown in the tutorial. I skip the first horizontal since I have the ending loop already on my hook. I pick up the last loop in the last vertical stitch on the left end of the row. This helps keep it from curling as much as it does if I pick up the loops through the vertical part of the stitch.

Afghan stitch is also called Tunisian Crochet or Tunisian Knit Stitch.

3 comments:

  1. I’m glad I chose to read this one. Nice work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous6:35 PM

    Nice cloth! How much did you charge for each one at the craft sale? I'm working on some for a charity sale and don't want to under/over charge. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To be honest, I didn't charge enough. I charged a little more than it cost for the materials, but not for the time it took to make them. I think the best thing to do is look at what people are paying at a home goods store and do something comparable. Keep in mind that unless you are a very speedy worker, you probably won't make money on your time, and you'll just have to write if off as hobby time as opposed to job time.

    ReplyDelete