Sunday, January 24, 2010

Fight Poverty

I once went into a shop in a resort town and saw a sign behind the counter that said, "I fight poverty. I work." It made me so mad that I had to leave the shop immediately to keep from saying anything. I knew it would turn into a pointless fight since the man clearly doesn't understand poverty.

I often read comments to TED postings where people say we should just give up on Africa or other of the poorest parts of the world since the places are run by war lords.

I have so much I'd love to say about it. How wrong those view points are. How easy it is to choose to believe the worst so that we don't have to do anything about it. But I don't have the words to say it.

So please visit these three links. Haiti is all over the news right now. They need help RIGHT NOW. But they need much more than our money right now. They need our long term commitment to help them achieve what they need in the future too. No more, "we're the West and we know the best" anymore. Okay?

The first link is to a blog where the author has published her account of Haiti on a visit in 2004.

This link is to posts from a "man on the ground."

This link is to a photo that I think says it all. Both for today and for the future. If we set out to help Haiti in the future with the same intent and intensity as we are in the aftermath of this earthquake, we could see more of this kind of joy.

Now go help, right now!  There are a lot of places that are advertising opportunities. Here's my favorite. They are in Haiti for the long haul and they're on the ground giving help to people right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment