Friday, August 13, 2010

Creepy Crawlies

Most people have problems with some form of creepy crawlies. What I have trouble with is snakes.

When you live in Africa, you learn that if you see a snake you kill it then see what kind it was. If you wait to identify it first, you're dead. Or better yet, run away REALLY fast.

So I've never been too keen on seeing a rattlesnake. It's something we have to watch out for here in Colorado, but I'd never seen a live one until yesterday.

I was walking out to my car after work rather nonchalantly, not paying a lot of attention when something small moved on the ground a little ahead of me. When I looked down and saw what it was, I literally jumped back about 2 or 3 feet.

It was a baby rattlesnake! As my curiosity drew me closer, my instincts pushed me side ways. I stood there and tried to remember if babies are poisonous and seemed to remember they were. But I had to have evidence that it was right there on the concrete step.

So, tiptoeing a "safe" distance away and keeping one eye on the snake, I pulled out my phone and turned on the camera app. Staying where I was at and leaning over very slowly so as to keep from scaring it, I took this picture.


Then I walked really quickly to my car while paying very careful attention to the ground. Where there is one baby, there are others. Thankfully, I didn't see them.

No comments:

Post a Comment