Monday, February 21, 2011

Memories of Shaving Soap

Yesterday my husband and I were in a local kitchen specialty store looking for a cheese slicer. Our favorite one is worn out. After finding one that was like the old one, but more awesome, we browsed.

In the back of the store, a bar of soap caught my eye. It wasn't your usual looking bar of soap. It was a cube about 2 1/2" square, kind of beige semi-transparent, and caused me to flash back in time for a moment.

Our kitchen at Mbingo was separate from the house. It was a big room with windows on two sides, long counter space for working, and cupboards underneath. The wood stove was on the opposite wall and our milk separator stood in the corner near the other windowless wall. The sink was under one of the windows and I was required to help with dishes when our cook had the day off. Probably Sundays.

When doing dishes it wasn't a simple matter of running the faucet and squeezing out some dish detergent. You had to fill the sink with very hot water and carve chunks of soap off a big bar into it until you had enough suds to get to work. In my memories the kitchen and the bar of soap are the same color. Smokey beige.

I'm glad I don't have to carve a bar of soap every time we do dishes anymore. And my dish soap comes in pretty colors now, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment