Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Ikea Gave Me Hope

My studio could have qualified for an episode of Hoarders. About 3 1/2 years ago I developed a negative association with it because of some stuff I was dealing with and couldn't stand to be in there for long. By the time I felt like I wanted to get back in there and work, I couldn't. The furniture I had was always inadequate to my needs and, because I would only go in to grab or dump, things got out of control.

Then Ikea moved to Denver.

I have a friend who might almost be accused of idolatry in reference to her love of Ikea. So naturally I had to see if they were all that.

I got online to see what their desks and tables looked like and, lo and behold, I discovered the Expedit Workstation. An answer to one of my main problems. Not enough work surface and not enough storage. Then I found the Lack Coffee Table, an answer to another main problem. My flat drawers sat on the floor, taking up floor space and minimizing my storage space. The flat drawers are just the right size to sit on top of the coffee table. The coffee table raises them to work surface height and provides additional storage below the flat drawers.

So I've spent August reclaiming my studio space and I'm almost done. I promise to post photos when I am.

I now have a work table that has a 30"x45" surface. I also have a desk with the same dimensions. Each has a shelf where I can put tools and stuff that is relevant to that workspace. I have a new work space because I was able to raise the height of my flat drawers from 24" to 42" and more storage underneath.

I have a little more of the original mess to sort through, but I'm almost done. I've gotten this far by taking small bites at a time, but taking bites almost every day.

Hallelujah!

No comments:

Post a Comment